Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Book review: "What I Saw and How I Lied," by Judy Blundell

What I Saw and How I Lied (2008)
By Judy Blundell
Scholastic

A friend has convinced me to try my hand this year for the first time at writing children's literature; but I don't actually know anything about children's literature, so am starting the process among other ways by first reading a stack of popular books that have been recommended to me. Today's title was the winner of the 2009 National Book Award for YA fiction, but unfortunately I found it hard to get into, mostly because it's pretty much the exact opposite of the type of book I plan on writing -- it's historical fiction (set in the aftermath of WW2), told from the viewpoint of a shy girl, with a storyline that hinges around a traditional romance told in a traditional way. I'm sure that people who are into these types of books will find a lot to love here, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment